NORTH IOWA FARMERS MARKET REMAINS A BRIGHT SPOT AS OPENING DAY APPROACHES
The North Iowa Farmers Market will open as planned on Tuesday, May 19th. The Market will be open 4:00pm-6:00pm and held in the parking lot on the corner of 1st Street NE & Delaware Avenue in Mason City (just south of the First Congregational Church).
“The NIFM Board is excited and has been working hard behind-the-scenes to create a safe environment for the upcoming season. We look forward to starting the market on the 19th and seeing where the season takes us,” said Josh Olson, NIFM President.
This spring, market-goers will have a variety of early greens, asparagus and other spring vegetables, as well as bakery products, popcorn, jams, jelly, honey, maple syrup, meats, and eggs to choose from.
“As both a vendor and a board member, I am really looking forward to seeing everyone at market. The weather has been pretty good this spring so I think market-goers can expect some really nice, early season produce,” shared Steve Straheim of Twisted River Farm.
“POP Club will function a bit differently this year, but the goals remain the same: to engage children in the local food system and encourage healthy eating. We are pleased to have many returning partners join us for programming, including Healthy Harvest of North Iowa, ISU Extension, Frank Lloyd Wright Stockman House, Landfill of North Iowa, and North Iowa Community Action,” said Den Lassise.
The program is FREE for children ages 4-8 and includes fun games, crafts and activities designed to teach children about fruits and vegetables. Participants will receive a two-bite fruit/vegetable sample, an activity and a $2 voucher to spend on the fruit and veggie of their choice at Market! Register here and sign up to receive updates.
“We are required to make modifications in response to COVID-19. To limit contact between customers and vendors we’ve been asked to only allow farm products at this time. This will allow us to provide more space so customers can maintain the recommend 6 ft. social distancing. All of our special events have been suspended until further notice,” said Andrea Evelsizer.
Vendors will be modifying their booth displays to minimize contact with customers and step up hand and surface sanitation procedures.
We ask you to consider the following when attending market:
- If you feel sick, stay home.
- The market will provide hand sanitizer please use as you enter the market.
- Follow the directional arrows which will be marked on the parking lot to help control the flow of customers and minimize interactions.
- If you feel more comfortable wearing a mask please bring one from home.
- Please don’t touch products that you don’t intend to purchase.
- If you bring bags, the vendors have been instructed not to touch them, so be prepared to bag your own items.
- Be understanding if vendors need to take time to sanitize their table or change gloves. They are working hard to keep you safe. They have also been asked to minimize staff at their booths; be aware that checkout times may take longer than usual.
We are excited to offer this option to customers who feel more comfortable ordering online, and to new customers who may find this a more convenient way to shop. We are also glad to have this option for our non-food vendors. Click here to learn more.
The market will be held weekly, every Tuesday and Friday from 4:00pm-6:00 pm through October 20th.