In need of a break this summer but concerned about traveling too far from home? A vacation doesn’t require going far away. Why not plan a summer STAYcation? Get away from it all and find your happy place – right here, at home.
Hike, bike, and explore trails. Float and fish tranquil waterways. Kick back at local eateries and diners. Explore arts, architecture, and Hollywood history… All right here in your own backyard. These trip ideas will help get you started, but first – a few ground rules:
- Put it on the calendar! Be sure to include a start date and an end date, just like you would for a vacation away from home.
- Request a Travel Guide. The official Mason City Travel Guide provides all the info you need regarding our unique attractions, lodging, shopping, dining and more! This great resource is available free of charge! Download the Mason City Travel guide now or request a printed copy by completing this form.
- Write it down. Your staycation doesn’t have to be 100% scripted, but it is helpful to make a list of the things you want to do.
- Limit the chores. Don’t get sucked into taking care of things around the house. Just like when you’re getting ready to leave for a vacation away from home, plan ahead to get things done so that you don’t spend your staycation doing laundry and yard work.
- Be safe. Remember, the same guidelines and recommendations for safety during the coronavirus pandemic still apply no matter where you are. Whenever possible, you should:
- Practice physical distancing with people outside your household.
- Avoid touching your face in public, especially in crowded areas.
- Bring a mask with you, and wear it indoors or in crowded outdoor spaces. (It may be required in some places.)
- Also bring hand sanitizer with you, and use it any time you touch a shared surface.
- Don’t travel or leave your home if you feel sick or have COVID-19 symptoms.